My kids all seem to have decided that mashed potato is good. This is a far cry from where we were only a year ago, when we would have to embark upon massive negotiations to get our middle child to even consider having potato on his plate. This polar change has opened up many more recipes that are now deemed acceptable as the humble potato is no longer considered food enemy number one! Unfortunately, tomatoes and courgettes remain exiled from two of the kids’ plates, but we are celebrating small victories.
There is now generally a mini stampede when I mention making mashed potatoes. This is because they all enjoy mashing potatoes and making ‘worms’ appear through the masher. The act of mashing is always accompanied by shrieks of delight!
This meal is lots of fun to put together. My kids loved scooping out the inside of the cooked potato, spooning in the mince, mashing the potato, sprinkling in cheese and then transporting the potato back on top of the mince-filled potatoes. It is true that it requires a fair amount of parent preparation; cooking the potatoes and making the mince filling. Despite this it is definitely worth the effort. It is also an incredibly versatile recipe which can be made vegetarian by using a Quorn or a lentil filling instead of the mince.
To make 4 jacket potatoes you will need:
- 4 jacket potatoes
- 50g grated mozzarella
- 2-3tbsp milk
- 500g beef mince
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 500 ml beef stock
- 3tbsp tomato paste
- Seasoning; dried herbs and garlic, salt and pepper
- Cook and cool jacket potatoes and slice the tops off.
- Make the beef filling by frying the onions and carrot with the seasoning. Brown the meat and then add the stock and tomato paste and allow to simmer for 30 minutes until it has reduced and cool.
- Scoop out the inside of the potatoes being careful not to break the potato skin and put into a large bowl.
- Mash the potato and add the cheese and milk.
- Spoon the meat filling into the potato shells.
- Cover with mashed potato.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 160°c fan until warm through.